Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Night Song

Getting back to my walking, I did try to jog all the way to my friends house and I DID IT! I was so proud of myself for achieving a small little goal like that.

I'm now reading a John Grisham book, "The Street Lawyer." Frank saw it, picked it up today and finished it while I was at Chemo and grocery shopping. He reads a book like that. He can't put a book down until he's finished. Sometimes he will read into the wee hours just to get it done.

Today I bought all of the food for cub scout day camp on Monday. Frank is taking that day off to come and help. We are making ice cream in a can, and hot dogs in a blanket over the campfire. We don't have any grandsons in the camp. We just wanted to help. Interestingly enough it was Frank who first asked to volunteer and I followed suit. It should be a fun, exhausting week. The Lord is blessing me. This next week is my bye with chemo.

I had chemo today early in the day. They gave me the bone strengthening drug "Zometa," as well as the normal chemo. I was supposed to have it last week but my kidney counts were too high and Zometa affects the kidneys adversely. Yeah, I know; they found something to help make my bones stronger, but there is always a side effect.

So tonight I took my bendryl, but I think I took it too late. I went to bed at 10:30 and and hour later I'm still tossing and turning in bed. It feels like having restless leg syndrome. I got up, and made myself some hot chocolate, (I really didn't crave anything hot ''cause today was one of the hottest days so far.)

I pulled out my hymnbook and started to read the hymns. I seem to be drawn to the hymns that give me comfort. The one I found tonight is strangely enough "The Time is Far Spent." (Quite an appropriate title for one having insomnia.) Here goes: Second verse:

Shrink not from your duty, however unpleasant, but follow the Savior, your pattern and friend.

Our little afflictions, tho painful at present, ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end. Be fixed in your purpose, for Satan will try you; the weight of your calling he perfectly knows. Your path may be thorny, but Jesus is nigh you; His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.

Another hymn is "Lead Kindly Light"

Lead kindly light amid the encircling gloom. Lead thou me on. The night is dark and I am far from home; Lead thou me on. Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see the distant scene - one step enough for me. I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou shouldst lead me on. I loved to choose and see my path; but now, Lead thou me on. I love the garish day, and, in-spite of fears, pride ruled my will. Remember not past years. So long thy power hath blest me, sure it still will lead me on. O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till the night is gone. And with the morn those angel faces smile, which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

It's 1 in the morning. I think I'm finally getting sleepy. I remember back 11 years ago I used to have insomnia until 5 in the morning. I remember I read the whole series of "The Work and the Glory." I guess I should be grateful for an early to bed by 1 am. I am.




3 comments:

beverly said...

I LOVE YOUR PICK OF SONGS, THAT WILL HELP ME TOO.YOU AND RON SHOULD GET TOGETHER IN YOUR SLEEP PATTERNS.HEHAD HIS ALLEGYS SWELLING WHEELS, BREAK OUT AGAIN ON HIS FEET TOOK BENEDRYL TOO.

Lorraine Butler said...

What a good way to use your time!

POP POP said...

Sorry I did not call you yet. but I will. Our summer vacation is flying by and so much going on with Oregon Beach Reunions etc. We flew and are now in Austin Texas with our three boys for four days. Last night Dana tripped over something in the bedroom and fell here in Josh's house. Josh and his family were gone, at the beach for two days... She had so much pain that she thought she had a broken arm (Humurus), but after exrays and emergency services at 1 - 4:00 am at a hospital we finally found she was wrong because she was treated for a completely disloated shoulder. The ER Doctor put her ut and fixed it by jerking it and ramming it back in. She is back here now on heavy pain pills and sleeping in a chair. Life goes on, sometimes hard for us but always with a purpose. We are going back to SLC on Monday at noon and then I have heart (Elecro Cardio Ablation Heart procedure) in the Provo Hospital at 6:00 pm the next day Tuesday (13th of July). They need to fix my irregular heart beat and Atrial Fibulation. Glad to see and hear your wonderful blog today. It was so lifting and wonderful Thank you. We love you. Bro. Jay