Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cub Scout Camp Week

This was my free week with no chemo. It couldn't have come at a more opportune time with Cub Scout Day camp happening.

I'm really sad because I couldn't locate my camera for day camp this week. It turned out to be a happy, fun, tiring, adventuresome, exhausting week. I started saying to myself, "I'm too old for this kind of stuff. I can't keep up with all the boys and their energy levels." However, I did keep up and went home pooped every night and was crazy enough to get up the next morning and do it all over again. But, as I talked to the other den mothers and workers, I found out they went home exhausted every night and didn't do anything else, but go to bed early! And all of them were younger than ME! By the way, I've checked "Cooking at Day Camp" off my BUCKET list!

We successfully made Chocolate Ice Cream in a Can. We found a #10 food storage empty can, a 1 lb. smaller tin with a lid, rock salt, and ice.

The recipe is: 1 qt. of half and half

2/3 c. white sugar

1 small pkg. instant chocolate pudding

Mix ingredients all together with a whisk. Duct tape the lid of the smaller can to seal it shut.

Put small tin inside the larger one. Put ice all around the edges and top it off with rock salt.

Seal the larger can with duct tape and play kick the can around for 10 minutes.

The ice cream will harden first around the edges and top. After 10 minutes you can check it (which I thought was a big pain in the neck) to see if it is hard. When you take the top off you need a big rubber spatula to scrape the hardened ice cream off the sides. So we just opened it, scraped the outside, lid, and bottom of the can and stirred it together. It was kind of like a soft Wendy's frosty. But oh, soo yummy. We scooped it out with a small measuring cup, or you can pour it out into little dixie cups,

This is really fun to do with a big group and you can let the children stir it, put in the ice, then the rock salt so they feel like THEY are making the ice cream.

We fed this to 14 cub dens in two days so I feel like I am somewhat of a professional.

Friday I had my two grandchildren, Owen and Adyson. We took them to my friends lake house for the day. She had a trampoline, big rectangular pool, and a paddle boat and rubber kayaks. The paddle boat was hands down the kids favorite! We also made homemade ice cream in a can. I wonder why we did that. I guess I'm a professional at it, right? They loved it. The only difference I saw was the age difference. Cindy had her two grandsons, 9 and 7. Beverly had her two grandaughters, 7 and 3 and I had mine 5 and 4. The only ones that had the staying power were the 9 year old and the 7 year olds. So between them, and us three ladies we managed to eek out that long 10 minutes shaking this impossibly cold, frigid container. We rolled the can on the deck for the first couple of minutes, but the slow rolling done by our younger group told me we wouldn't have ice cream very soon. We played hot potato, (or should I say cold potato!) All said and done everyone had a fun and messy time. TIP: It is best to do this outside!

Friday night we visited and had dinner with Michele and Dave and Ben who is now 11 months old. They fed us Papa Murphy's pizza which is my husbands absolute favorite! A spinach side salad with red onion and strawberries in a wonderful dressing made the meal complete. After dinner they took us to see a house would like to buy if they can only sell their condo!

Saturday Eric had a 3 on 3 basketball tournament in Snoqualmie. I knew I had extended my energy beyond the beyond. I asked Frank if he would mind if I just stayed home this time. He agreed and was nice enough not to wake me when he left at 6:30 am. I slept in until 9 am. It was heavenly not to have to set an alarm!

I made bread because I didn't have any in the house. I did a load of laundry and then collapsed for the rest of the day. I did lay on the couch, sleep a bit, watch a movie, check my e-mails, facebook and enjoyed a long talk on the phone with my sister in Arizona. So today was my checking out of normal stuff and lounging around a lot. It was great. I highly recommend it to everyone!




No comments: