Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Surgery Today

I have mixed emotions about today. As a result of Chemo twice a week I have to get poked with a needle for IV twice a week also. Today I will he having an operation for a port to be put in my upper chest so no more IV's! Yea! Mixed emotions though. After midnight last night I am not allowed to eat any solid food. So this morning, knowing I couldn't eat a normal breakfast, I laid in bed until 9 am and finished a book I have been reading. I figured that would be a great way to make the time go. So now I am enjoying a cup of beef broth. Later this morning I will top that off with an ample glass of apple juice and maybe some water and by 12:30 pm will finish off the can of beef broth. After 12:30 nothing can touch my lips, even water until I have the surgery this afternoon at 4:15 pm. They will install a port under my skin. Ninety mintues before I have Chemo I put a lotion on the spot where the port is buried and kinda like the dentist they can pierce the skin with a needle to give the Chemo or take blood work.

Surgery ends at 5:15 and Frank will be there when I recover. I won't be able to leave until 6:30. So food is going to look really enticing when I get home.
I am nervous about the anethesia but confident the doctors perform this surgery very often. Most of the people at the Cancer Center have these ports.

Wish me well and hope I don't loose too much weight today on a liquid diet!

No comments: