Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bread Making Day

This morning I got up, said my prayers and read my scriptures, then went walking with Helen.

Then I started the bread where you make a sponge that sits for 15 minutes with the yeast, water and 2 c. of flour. Fifteen minutes later when the timer went off, I picked up the bowl to put it in the kitchen-aide and noticed that it had not risen. I exclaimed,

"Oh no, what happened?"

I knew the yeast wasn't bad, but then I came to the obvious reason ( I had not heated the water; I had just put cold water in!) To a baker this is bad news. No yeast will EVER rise without the help of warmed water. I estimate that I have been making bread for years and NEVER ever did this. Did my walk leave me brain dead? I have no idea. Anyway I dumped the first bunch out and started over. I will regale you with my pictures of the newly baked bread and hopefully fully salivate you to want some.

I sell one loaf a week to my adult piano student, Faith. She and her older children enjoy it a lot. So my daughter Michelle says I should give up piano students and become a baker. Well, I actually am already a baker, but it is food for thought. I have someone else that said they would buy it for a dollar a loaf more. So I'm thinking it might be a little fun money here and there.

I did make cinnamon rolls once in Spokane. We had 30 gallon pails that we used for salt, sugar, corn syrup and flour. You should have seen the look on Eric's face when he tasted a hot, mouth-watering cinnamon roll. I had used salt instead of sugar!

I remember when we lived in Marysville we used to store the 30 pails including corn syrup outside in the garage. Without me knowing, the kids used to sneak out there and dip fingers in the corn syrup to get a sweet snack. I found that out years later!

I had a hot piece with bread and butter. Does it make your mouth water, yup. Maybe come visit me and I'll fix you a piece!





1 comment:

Tiffany said...

That bread looks yummy, I want to eat it up.