Monday, September 6, 2010

Laboring on Labor Day.

We have traveled away from home this summer quite often for extended periods of time. As a result our yard needed a make-over big time.

So today we labored in our front yard pulling those noxious looking weeds. Frank took one part and I took another area. The first hour was un-eventful and very enjoyable. We were able to begin to see the results of our hard work. The next two hours were not so enjoyable. The rain came, first a little smattering of tiny raindrops, then a little drizzle. Then the real duluge started. We felt the constant stream of wet, wet, wet and more wet raindrops on our sweatshirts. I finally went in the house and grabbed a baseball hat to protect my head. Soon we were both so soaked that we had to come in.

Then, in the pouring deluge of rain I hastily ran to the garage and grabbed my Costco sized container of “Preen.” It is supposed to control the weeds for up to 3 months. However, the last time I used it I neglected to notice that the weeds will come back if you don’t re-apply it every three months. I was un-detered from the rain. I don’t want to do this weeding again in 3 months!

My husband was kind of mad at me that I was out in the rain so long since I am a cancer patient in chemo. I just calmly told him I would take a super hot shower when I came in, which I did. Boy, did it feel great. I did not realize how cold my body was from being outside so long. I had to stand under the shower for an extended period of time to warm up.

The only one seeming to enjoy the raindrops is our white swan. You can see the raindrops falling from the roof of the house and forming a pool for our dear little swan.
Little tiny grains of "Preen."
This is the area that Frank weeded, and it got a good shot of Preen too.
This is tall wastebasket which I had filled with weeds twice. This is the last of the muddy weeds that accumulated in the bottom.

Muddy hatchet and muddy, muddy, gucky gloves. So much for summer. It's bye, bye I'm afraid.
I love this hatchet tool It has a hatchet on one end and a three pronged hoe on the other. It is a very handy tool for yard work.



No comments: