Saturday, June 6, 2009

Where'd the Time Go?

About the 20th of May I started having pain in my chest. I went to the doc on a Monday and he called for ex-rays which said nothing was wrong. So on Thursday I was having a cat scan which revealed a hair-line fracture of my sternum. The oncologist said that the bones become weak and brittle from the steriods during chemo. I also have the beginnings of Osteoporosis. And I lifted a couple of heavy fertilizer sacks out of my trunk. I think I've learned the really hard way that I "caint do dat no mo." There is no way to cast a sternum so into my pharmacy of pills I went to find my Oxycodon and extra-strength Tylenlol. Sitting up from a laying position was impossible. I had to roll out of bed, slowly.
It has been three weeks and I am healing. I can lift up my chest from a laying position without pain. Don't get me wrong. I still have pain but it is much, much less. I am now only on the Tylenlol every four hours.

Here is a quote from Ernest Hemingway from "A Farewell to Arms:"
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.
I guess I must be strong in a lot of broken places because I've broken so many bones! LOL

I've been watching a lot of movies lately since I can't do a lot physically. The movie "Miss Potter" is about the life of Beatrix Potter, the author of Peter Rabbit. I did not ever know her story, but it is a fascinating one and I think you would all love the movie. We just put it on hold at the local library, but I had no idea what or who it was about. We borrowed another great movie entitled Nicolas Nickleby by Charles Dickens from Chelle. That was another great movie that I liked and I think I am going to check out the book from the library. Right now I am reading a book called "First Mothers (The Women Who Shaped the Presidents) by Bonnie Angelo. It lists very similar traits that each of these mothers had in raising their sons.

We even made to the temple yesterday to do a session and I did OK. We stopped at Chelle's house to pick up some homemade whole wheat bread I had asked her to make. It was delicious. My daughter sure is a great bread maker. She also lent us some more DVD's. (We don't currently have TV)

Grandkids: The Monday after I got hurt Kali and Jennifer and Ethan came over and brought a lovely dinner. They mopped my kitchen floor and vacuumed for me. Then we all sat down to watch the movie "Australia" they brought. We really enjoyed it a lot - Great movie.
Then the next Monday, Memorial Day Michelle came up and planted the rest of my garden for me and watered all my plants. I have been so appreciative of my daughters and their concern for me and my health. Last Saturday we were at Eric's helping to pack for his move and Chelle kept me in line by saying, "sit down Mom; don't lift anything Mom, now Mom I told you not to do anything." Needless to say I shouldn't have gone because I can't just not do anything. It is not in my nature. Nevertheless I went to 9 am church the next day for the whole three hours without a lot of painn so I must have not done too much!

I had been going over to Eric's twice a week to babysit half-days, but when I got injured that had to end. Eric's family moved this last Wed. to a home just as big but for less rent.The kids won't have to change schools and they now have a new house in which to make new memories.

Right after Easter Ady's older brother Colin who is 5 decided she needed a hair cut. So he proceeded to give her one. So Ady lost her lost pig tails, just when Eric had figured out how to do her hair decent. They took her to the hair salon and she has a cute little bob. Eric said he does miss her long hair. So I will try to find my camera (it is currently in hiding); or you could say I mis-placed it. So today I am on a mission to find that runaway camera so I can take pictures at the birthday celebration and put them on my blog!
Sunday we will celebrate Adyson and Owen's birthdays. Ady turned 3 on Thurs and Owen 4 on Sunday. Colin will turn 6 on the 14th so June is our beaucoup b-day month.

No comments: