Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Update

After the last three weeks I was happy to see the doctor and have some positive news.
I had an x-ray three weeks ago that confirmed that I had more compressed fractures (5 now instead of 3). So I have had a lot of pain upon standing or walking. Sitting or reclining has been great though.
Friday I saw the oncologist and he said:
1. Tylenol or ibeprofen are not acceptable for a broken back. I must take stronger medication for a more serious problem. There's only one problem. He has been dealing with a stoic, stubborn Scandanavian who doesn't like heavy pain medication. So now I've learned to take what I need for pain. I'm pain free after two days on the right meds! Hurray! I'm more than ecstatic!
2. This is my sixth chemo. He is thinking and I mean only thinking of taking me off chemo for awhile because:
a. A side effect is neuropathy (numbness) in the hands and feet.
b. My body has responded so well to the chemo that my cancer counts are 2.65 and normal is 1.5.
c. Sooner or later my cancer cells will start to ignore the meds. So taking me off will give my body a jump start when the Velcade needs to be re-started.
3. He is referring me out to a physiotherapist (MD who specializes in back problems without surgery). He told me of a procedure called Kaoplasty where a balloon is inserted in the collasped vertebre, lifts it up and a special cement is inserted to prevent the disk from ever collasping again. My first thought, (I wonder if I'll gain 10 or so pounds from the cement?) Hee, hee. I don't think it's that kind of cement.

So things are looking positive for me again. The last three weeks I began to wonder!

3 comments:

Marianne Thelin said...

Great news Julie!

Tiffany said...

Oh my, living life with a broken back is not a fun idea, go get that cement put in and for heavens sake take as much pain meds as it takes to not feel the pain.

Lorraine Butler said...

Wonderful to hear that you have hope again! My prayers are with you.