Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Crock Pot Blog


-->

This is an awesome blog about 365 days of cooking only in a crockpot. You can google it at crockpot cooking blog.

Barack Obama's Chili Recipe--in the CrockPot

Day 308.

The result is a mild and pleasant chili, suitable for all ages. The kids gladly ate this, and not once complained about spice---a complaint that is quite common at our dinner table. Adam and I added a few drops of Tabasco sauce to our bowls.

The Ingredients.

--1 can kidney beans (and the goop!)
--1 lb lean ground meat (I used ground chicken)
--1 green bell pepper, chopped
--1 large onion, chopped
--5-6 medium tomatoes, chopped (include seeds and all)
--4 chopped cloves of garlic
--1 tsp cumin
--1 tsp oregano
--1 tsp basil
--1 tsp turmeric
--2 tsp chili powder (I started with 1, but added another after a few hours. Do what's right for your family)
--1 tsp salt
--3 T red wine vinegar


The Directions.

I used a 6 quart Smart Pot for Obama's chili.

I made the executive decision to increase all of the spices from the original recipe, because in CrockPot cooking, the slow simmer of the ingredients cooking can overpower added spices. I'm glad that I upped everything---the flavors were there, but they were subtle and not overpowering.

I gave myself a pat on the back.

I also decided to not brown the meat on the stove top. I hate browning meat, and since the chicken I used was quite lean, I just crumbled it in raw. If you are going to use beef, or enjoy browning meat, go for it.

Chop up the tomatoes, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Add to the crockpot. Open the can of beans, and pour in the whole thing. Add the ground meat. Stir in all of the spices and the red wine vinegar.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 4-5. I cooked our chili on low for 9 hours.

Season with a bit more salt, to taste.

Obama serves his chili over rice, so we did too. The kids really liked that a lot----they love white rice.

The Verdict.

Very tasty! It does not pack a punch the way traditional chili does, which was a pleasant change. I loved the addition of cumin and turmeric---I am new to turmeric, and like how it turns things orange.

We're going to have the leftovers as taco filling.

No comments: